Atlanta Massage Chair Tips for Fibromyalgia Pain Relief
Helping You Manage Your Symptoms So That You Can Thrive
Fibromyalgia is an unusually debilitating condition. For one, people with fibromyalgia encounter notably more pain and may have difficulty performing simple everyday tasks. As a result, they may also experience a lower quality of life compared to people without fibromyalgia.
Despite the seemingly insurmountable challenge, people with fibromyalgia can still thrive, according to a leading massage chair dealer in Atlanta. The key to this is maintaining a positive attitude and taking an active role in managing their condition.
What is Fibromyalgia? Understanding the Condition
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes extensive muscle and bone pain, tenderness, and fatigue. While it affects approximately 2% to 4% of the American population (roughly 6 to 12 million people), the condition is still largely misunderstood.
It is interesting to note that fibromyalgia affects women more than men but does not discriminate based on age (both the young and the old can be affected with the condition), race, or ethnicity. Additionally, the 2012 National Health Interview Survey indicated a correlation between certain demographic factors (e.g. being a resident of the Midwest, having an educational level lower than college, being divorced or separated) and a person’s risk for developing the condition.
Besides the fact that no one knows for sure what causes it, the symptoms associated with the disorder are highly subjective and are therefore not measurable by any known medical tests. Some of the most common symptoms include the following.
- Consistent dull ache affecting multiple areas in the body for the last three months. Some of the most common tender or trigger points include the back of the head, tops of shoulders, upper chest, hips, knees, and elbows.
- General fatigue
- Headaches and migraines
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping for several hours without feeling rested
- Temperature sensitivity
- Difficulty paying attention, inability to focus, and/or forgetfulness
- Irritability, depression and/or anxiety
- Digestive problems (abdominal pain, excessive gas, constipation, IBS)
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and feet
While the direct cause of fibromyalgia is still unknown, medical experts have pinpointed several factors that may contribute to the condition. These may include:
- Certain infections or prior illnesses (e.g. lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, viral infections)
- Genetic predisposition or family history
- Physical or emotional trauma (e.g. post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Chronic stress
Tips for Managing Fibromyalgia Pain
As of today, there is no known cure for fibromyalgia, but there are several ways to manage the symptoms and improve a patient’s quality of life.
- Get moving. There is a strong correlation between chronic pain and a sedentary lifestyle. Instead, make a conscious effort to remain physically active. After all, studies indicate that aerobic exercise, tai chi, and yoga can help improve the symptoms, so pick a routine that best fits your lifestyle and go with it!
- Mind what you eat. What you put in your mouth directly affects your body, so make the necessary dietary changes for your condition. Some experts suggest that adopting an anti-inflammatory diet can help in pain management.
- Don’t forget to take your medications. Over-the-counter pain relievers (aspirin, NSAIDs) work well for some people while others require stronger pain medications to relieve the pain. Still, others are prescribed with fibromyalgia drugs, sleeping medications, antidepressants and anti-seizure drugs to address the symptoms. Your doctor will know what’s best for you.
- Make lifestyle changes. Make sure you go to bed at about the same time each night to rule out sleeping problems, use an ergonomically correct chair and comfortable mattress to promote better posture, and practice relaxation techniques to manage stress effectively.
- Try complementary therapies. Some people find relief through alternative treatments such as massage therapy, acupuncture, biofeedback, and guided imagery. You wouldn’t know what works for you until you give it a try, so talk to your doctor and get to know your options.
Massage Therapy for Fibromyalgia
Research shows that aside from improving blood flow, massage also promotes better lymphatic circulation.With regular massage therapy, blood flows more easily through the congested areas, carrying oxygen-rich blood and all the essential nutrients needed for recovery.
Consequently, the pressure created by the massage technique improves the circulation of the lymphatic fluid which is primarily responsible for eliminating metabolic wastes and toxins from the body.
People with fibromyalgia will benefit most from massage techniques that combine kneading, stretching, gentle pressure, and heat since these can help loosen up tight muscles, increase mobility, and improve circulation to facilitate nutrient absorption and the elimination of toxins in the body. Taking everything into consideration, here are some of the most recommended massage techniques for people with fibromyalgia.
- Myofascial release – highly effective for pain management and can be beneficial for reducing anxiety, depression, and fatigue. It can also address muscle stiffness, restore normal range of motion, and improve quality of life.
- Shiatsu – can improve pain threshold, promote better sleep, reduce fatigue, and improve the overall quality of life.
- Swedish massage – improves circulation and lymph flow, reduces soreness, loosens up joints, and promotes relaxation.
- Hot stone massage – uses hot stones to relieve pain and provide soothing muscle relief.
Massage Chairs Can Benefit People with Fibromyalgia
While massage therapy can be beneficial for people with fibromyalgia, getting treatments from a clinical massage therapist may not always be feasible for a number of reasons. For one, the cost can be quite prohibitive. People with fibromyalgia may also find it hard to visit their massage therapist due to lack of time and/or energy.
Thankfully, there is an easier and more practical way for you to get more massage into your life, says the leading massage chair dealer in Atlanta. The solution? Invest in a high-quality full body massage chair. With a quality massage chair, you can get professional grade massage any time without even leaving the comfort of your own home. Wouldn’t that be great?
Need help choosing a massage chair that will be most beneficial for your condition? Consider these expert suggestions.
- Know what you need. Not all massage chairs are created equal so look for one that provides what you need. For sure, you’ll be looking for one that offers the right kind of massage, variable intensity settings, a zero gravity feature (a must-have for chronic pain sufferers), and lumbar heat technology.
- Set a budget. With the wide variety of available massage chairs in Atlanta, setting a budget can help narrow down your search.
- Determine space requirement. Massage chairs can be quite heavy and may take up a lot of space so identify the exact spot where you intend to place it.
- Do your research. Google is your best friend so use it to learn everything you want to know about your options. Consider checking online reviews while you’re at it to see how previous users rate the product.
Need Help Managing Fibromyalgia Pain? Invest in a High Quality Massage Chair in Atlanta
Managing fibromyalgia pain can be a tough challenge, but we can help. Aside from making healthy lifestyle changes and taking your medications, investing in a high-quality full body massage chair can be a great help in managing the symptoms. At UME Massage Chair, your health and well-being always comes first so we carry only the best full body massage chairs available in the market today.
We understand that a good quality massage chair is a significant investment so we will help you find one that perfectly fits your needs and budget. Contact us or call us at (404) 334-3700 to start the process. We offer a full 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee and free white glove delivery so you can shop with confidence.